I'm reading two new books, both published in 2009 - one non-fiction, one fiction. Ordinary Injustice: How America Holds Courtby Amy Bach exposes flaws in our country's legal system. I've found it to be a fascinating peek at how business gets done in courtrooms around the nation. There are many, many disturbing accounts of district attorneys and prosecutors not doing their jobs - the wrong people are put in prison, the victims are not protected, judges falling asleep on the job, poor people getting the worst possible representation, and on and on. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the court system in general. It really changed the way I think about the law!
Blameby Michele Huneven, is about a highly educated alcoholic who runs over two people while she's drunk, killing them. She winds up in prison. When she gets out, she must figure out how to start her life over while at the same time coping with the news that she may not have been to blame for the victims' deaths. There is a bit of mystery in the plot and I'm guessing that there is a twist at the end. I'm about halfway through this one but I like it so far.
By the way, these are both library books....I won't tell you how much I've racked up so far in overdue fines!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment